Thursday, October 8, 2009

On the metro

Hello,

Sarah gave me many good instructions for getting on the metro and going to her office. Waiting for the baggage no sign for the metro was visible, but I soon spotted it as I headed for ground transportation. I walked through and bought a $10 pass. Then it was a question of where to go after I got through the turnstile. The large map on the wall looked like a good source of information. As I was looking at it a woman came and started muttering about which line went where.
“Are you new here too?” I asked.

“No I live here,” she replied, “where do you want to go?”

I then told her the lines I needed.

“We are going on both of those so you stick with us,” she said as a man joined her.
After that I just followed along. My guides did point out the stop names and the map inside the metro train. It is all quite clear, but so nice to have some reinforcement.

“What street do you want when you get off?” they asked. Instructions were given so I would be headed in the right direction.

Once on the street I looked at my directions again and a guy immediately asked if I needed help. He sent me off. I did not spot Sarah’s office address right away. As I was checking my sheet another guy stopped, before he got done looking an additional guy stopped to make sure the first was doing a good job. The second guy delivered me to the door.

Was I cared for! Pressed down and running over. Is DC a friendly helpful place? Yes! There are good people everywhere.

Paula

No comments: