Sunday, October 11, 2009

Church Anniversary

Hello,

The church here celebrated their 140th anniversary. Leroy and I both had thought we would be gone by now. I also had the idea that it would be better for the new pastor to get settled and to participate in this event. Basically I stayed away from the preparations for it.

Surprise for me, I enjoyed it thoroughly. There was some good music, good sermon by the bishop, a nice meal, good talks, and a great bell ringing.

We invited former pastors and their families to “tour” the parsonage. I went over with one young woman who had lived here when she was growing up. She asked, “Are you related to Sarah Bradway, are you her mother? She looks a lot like you. I did not know that her father was also a Lutheran pastor.”

“Yes, how do you know her?” I wanted to know.

“I went to Central College with her,” she said. By the way Sarah her name was Amy Hoger.

Later in the church her brother, Josh Hoger turned to me and said, “Do you know Brian Bradway? I went to Simpson College with him and we were in the same fraternity. I think we were the only two Lutherans. My wife Megan took a lot of classes with him.”

I was totally amazed that this could happen. Why I should be amazed I do not know. I frequently meet people who have a connection with someone I know. Life is full of ties.

The bell had not been rung in 20 years and it now works again. It had a beautiful clear tone. I was happy to take a turn ringing it.

Paula

No comments: