Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Going to DC

Hello,

The alarm was set for 4:00 am. Our eyes popped open at 3:30. After touching shoulders and bases getting up seemed the smart thing to do. The flight leaves at 7:00 so it seemed that 6:00 was plenty early to get to the airport. The “older” women declared “It takes an hour and 10 minutes to get the airport not the hour you think.” Now Leroy and I were both a little nervous about an hour’s drive. Perhaps that is why we woke up earlier than planned.

Leroy raced downstairs to start oatmeal while I took my osteo pill. Not a champion pill swallower, I try to remain calm when taking this medium sized tablet as water is all that is allowed. In fact there is to be no eating for half an hour after swallowing. My usual pill taking method is to eat a cracker and hide the pill in the mashed up cracker as I swallow. Mental, huh? There is to be no lying down for half an hour after taking this pill, but that is not a problem in the shower, I am not even tempted.

Leroy is fussing “Did you pack your toothbrush? Should I take your bag out? Stop walking around and eat.” We are ready at 4:45.

Through the darkness and occasional ribbon of fog there were hardly any cars and just a few trucks. We almost make the intimate acquaintance of one skunk. There was just a brief hi to a lumbering raccoon.

One hour and five minutes later we pulled into the drop off lane at the airport. Good timing!

At the self check in kiosk $20 was charged for my check-in bag. Because of my Silver Elite status I should be able to have two free bags. The woman at the desk said, “You will have to call the 800 #, I am not able to change that.” She then gave me instructions for next time. Personally I am inclined to use the ticket agent as I think she was saying I should indicate I had no bags to check. I like taking to a person who is more flexible than a machine.

Paula

No comments: