Friday, March 27, 2009

Computer Troubles

Hello,
The computer is going bad again. I am not sure if I am a jinx on these machines or what. Seems to me it should last longer than two years. Leroy is thinking the hard drive is bad. At any rate I am using the computer at church. Do we “need” two computers so we have a back up at all times?
Leroy at least has now saved all files. We will have to take it somewhere so they can run some tests on it. We do not have that software.
After fussing around with this at home I decided to use the computer at church in Leroy’s office. Luckily he gave me the password for the secretary’s computer because when I got here I realized I did not have the key for his office.
This computer was working fine, but after five minutes I could no longer use the keyboard. The mouse still worked. I tried to call Leroy and could not get the phone to work. I would tear out my hair if I had any to spare. I used the phone in the kitchen and he told me, “There are two phone lines in the office and perhaps the right line button was not down.”
He could not imagine why the keyboard would not work. Then I remembered, “I kicked a cord. I’ll bet I kicked it off the computer.”
Sure enough that is what happened. So it was a simple matter of plugging it back in.
It is a little unnerving being in the church alone at night. When I came to the church there were two cars parked in front. It did not look like young people in those cars. Before I saw the people I thought, “Maybe young people come here and hang out since it is off the beaten path.” After I unlocked the church they left. Now just a few minutes ago I heard faint voices.
Even though the hair was rising on the back of my neck, I looked out the door to see if I could see anything. The tail lights of a car were moving away from the church. A chair scraped on the floor downstairs. More hair rising. Fortunately a few seconds later I remembered someone having said that AA meets here on Friday night. Hopefully that is who is here. I feel better. I will trust that is who it is. I will not bother them and they will not bother me.
Is my life exciting or what?
Paula

No comments: