Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blessings

Hello,

The pastor of the Ukrainian congregation again brought us gifts: a quart of honey, two cucumbers, one yellow pepper, 5-10 pounds of tomatoes, and ten or more pounds of potatoes. All of these things come from their farm. What bounty! We can not imagine what we can give them in return that is of such value.

Earlier today someone else brought a box of tomatoes. Just when I think we are out of something the doorbell rings.

This morning we went to garage sales. We found a lid for a Tupperware container that was in need. That was well worth a quarter. It is amazing what treasures are waiting to be found.

Even though it is August, we had bean soup and cornbread for supper. It is cool and seemed to be a good choice. With the addition of some of the new vegetables that came in the door it was quite tasty.

“I am embarrassed,” Leroy said as he trudged into the living room and eased onto the couch.

“Oh, why is that?” I wanted to know.

“I can’t find any paint that will cover the paint that I put on the walls at church to cover the marks,” he sighed, “It shows through all of them.”

Leroy had decided to cover some odd spots on the walls, opened a can of paint that he thought looked close, and proceeded to cover spots here and there in many places in the church. When the paint dried it was revealed to be much darker than the original. Now none of the other cover ups he has tried have been able to hide it.

“I think there is nothing left, but that you must fess up to your mistake. We could try to repaint what we able if we knew the proper color,” I said.

“Oh,” he groaned, “I suppose that is all that is left to do.”

“You will know you are past it,” I said, helpfully, “when you can tell about it and laugh. There are certainly other more serious things you could screw up. Such as insulting some pillar of the church. This is really minor in the long run.”

“That is true, but now I do not feel that way,” he said.

Paula

No comments: