Sunday, July 15, 2012

Volunteering Again


Hello,

Today. I put on a warmer shirt and some pants that are a little warmer. I was quite cold yesterday. My hands especially felt uncomfortable at times.

I hoped on my bike and rode over in the warm air thinking I would cool off when I got inside. Just as I was getting ready to go to my assigned spot the person in charge of volunteers asked if I would be willing to work outside as someone had not come. I had not brought my hat, but she assured me that I would be in the shade. Because I suspect that I would be much more comfortable in the 90 degree heat than many others, I agreed. Ironic that I dressed for some colder spot.

Because of being outside I was actually there in time for the building blessing service. Leroy welcomed people and then said a few words when the service was finished. I can tell that Leroy has missed being in the parish setting and this weekend was more like that type of people experience. He looks so happy talking to people about the library and their purpose.

My job was to take drink tickets from people and get them a cold soft drink or water. Some felt the drinks were not cold enough. Astonishing, as my poor hand got shocked every time I plunged it into the iced water to pull out the bottle. I am so far out of the mainstream as to wonder what other people think and do. I do not drink pop of any kind and certainly not cold things. My bottle of water sat on the table warming up for some time before it was drinkable. I agree with Dr. Tang in Fargo who preached against drinking cold liquids. Maybe I am Chinese and do not know it.

Would you believe that when my shift was over no one came? I finally asked another volunteer who came by to inquire about that for me. When I saw the head of volunteers she again talked of people not coming even though they were signed up.

Paula

No comments: