Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Early Morning Bike Ride


Hello,

Leroy and I had tickets in hand for the Ely Fireman’s breakfast. On the tickets it stated serving started at 7:00. We left the house a little after 6:00, but not before we had eaten a light fortifying breakfast of ½ serving of oatmeal, granola, and a large banana each. There were a number of bikes on the trail both passing us and meeting us. We did not pass anyone. We must have been the slowest people out there even though we often clocked speeds of 15 mph.

In spite of the early hour it was easy to believe that it would become quite warm before we returned however at that point it was great to float along with a bit of wind behind and gravity working with us much of the time. The trail follows an abandoned railroad bed so the hills are minimal and shade is prolific.

This morning Leroy saw a blue bird of some kind perhaps Eastern or perhaps Indigo Bunting. I saw the bird, but not the color as I was behind and it was flying. One of the last trips I saw a beautiful blue bird sitting on a fence. I think that was an Indigo Bunting.

It was fun to see some of the people that we had known when we lived in Ely. We visited a little, but not too long as the sun was warming and the humidity making its presence apparent made us realize it would be a bit more work to get home.

Leroy found the ride easier in both directions than I did. All that riding to work helps him out. Before we got home I could tell my face was turning red and I did not feel so terrific. I stopped two times to drink copious amounts of water and cool off in the shade. At home I had Leroy give me a misting of water from the hose in the back yard. It was great, but we still took cool refreshing showers.

Isn’t it marvelous that at ages 63 and 64 we can still do things like this and live to tell about it?

Paula

No comments: