Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fruit Fly Attack


Hello,

I love fruit and so do fruit flies. I am not sure how they know I have fruit, but they come in swarms. Leroy thinks they have laid their eggs on the surface of the fruit so it is a hatch rather than moving in. I like to eat my fruit at room temperature creating a good environment for them. They have never complained so they must like it instead they seem to invite their friends. They are generous unlike people who often hoard the good things in life.

Because I am not burying my vegetation debris, it sits in the open wastebasket giving rise to its own colony of fruit flies. The only good things I can say about these flies is they do not sting or bite, they do not even sit on me, they are not creepy to look at and they disappear when there is no food for them. Even though those are a lot of rather negative good things I still do not like to have them in my house.

Leroy kept saying that I should buy a covered wastebasket for the kitchen. Somehow it never got on my shopping list and I never thought of it when out. After these guests had out stayed their welcome, I thought of another solution. I am a consistent bag saver. I realized that I could take the frozen veggie bags that seemed to have no purpose, but to put our fruit refuse in and tie it shut with the twist ties that I no longer use. Since starting this new practice we have not seen a fruit fly around the garbage.

I also read somewhere that it is good method of killing harmful bacteria to wash fruit with a bit of white vinegar in the water. I have been doing that and miraculously I have seen no fruit flies in the house. Apparently they do not like or survive the vinegar either.

I am happy to say good bye to these mysteriously useful visitors, surely they have a use. Plus I have been reusing two things, the bags and the twist ties, that would have only had one use in the past.

In the near future I am going to ask our landlord if we could start a compost bin or bury our garbage around the property thus returning it to the earth.

We have eaten our first home grown tomato. Lovely, Lovely!

Paula

No comments: