Monday, July 2, 2012

Leroy's Bike Rides


Hello,

Leroy has now ridden the bike to work for a few weeks, maybe even four weeks. He has been navigating his route quite successfully. It is just a little over three miles that he has to go. Even though we are close to the bike trail most of the trip is on the streets. Because of construction he is able to find some less traveled streets that he can traverse rather easily. I, who keep a record of all monies spent notice the drop in our gas expenditure. That is so nice. He has been wearing his bike shorts and then changes when he gets to work. He keeps some pairs of pants there as well as shoes. That is good except when he wants to wear those clothes or shoes somewhere else.

Last week he called me to ask if I would come get him. He had a flat tire almost as soon as he left work. He figured it would take him about an hour to push his bike home in the 90+ heat. I obligingly hopped in the car and picked him up. Then we had a discussion about his broken tire pump that attaches to the bike. Apparently I earlier had given him the impression that he should not buy another because they are rather expensive for such a puny item. Now I certainly told him to buy it. It costs much less than a tank of gas. In addition two nights out of the week I am at work and unable to rescue him.

Friday at 4:45 I was home and had heard that there was a strong storm coming. Sometimes Leroy comes home a little early on a Friday. I decided if he were already on the way home, I should not slow him down by calling. Then it was after five and he still had not arrived and it was starting to rain. Surely he would call if he needed help. It was perhaps 5:30 when I looked out to see him pull up to the garage with a soaking wet body. He said someone had offered him a ride but he figured it would not be a problem to traverse the twenty minutes home in the light rain. Just after he got in the house the sirens went off. We went to the basement, but it was not truly necessary, however I was so grateful that he was home and not trying to maintain balance in the brutal winds.

By the way the bike ride only takes him about five minutes longer than the trip by car. Isn’t that a good deal? He gets some exercise, enjoys the fresh morning air, saves money, and helps the environment.

Paula

No comments: