Saturday, July 14, 2012

Grand Opening


Hello,

Today is the grand opening at the museum. Last night Leroy told me he left the building after 1:00 am. I heard him, but did not acknowledge him when he came home. Then it was up at 5:30 this morning so he could get back there before 7:00. There was a parade this morning that I decided to skip as I would be on duty at 11:00. I knew that required standing for two hours and I did not want to get too tired.

My job was in the room that contained the costumes reclaimed from the 2008 flood damage. Most of them had been sent off to other places for the actual restoration work. It is quite amazing to see what they could do. I would not have thought it possible considering how much I do not restore in my laundry duties. I will not hire out for this purpose.

It was fun to greet people and try to answer their questions such as why are there so many women’s kroj (costumes) and only one or two for men. What would you guess? I had no idea.

The hardest part that there were to be no photos taken except by the media. Most people were quite gracious and apologetic, but a small number of people were snippy and resentful in their verbal response to the request.

In the afternoon I was in the new office area. That was a slack job as not so many ventured into that area and there were three of us up there. During the day I did meet people from South Carolina, Maryland, Illinois, Nebraska, and California. There were also visitors from the Czech and Slovak countries.

Leroy tells me his day will not be so long tomorrow, but he cannot go to church with me as he would then be too late. I do not have to be there until later so I will go to church before that. His day will be done at 5:00 as far as the public is concerned, but they have to get things ready to be open for business the next day. No slackers on that job.

We did get another rain shower that put a bit of a slowdown on the outdoor activities. Yesterday we got about .5 inch of rain and I suspect today’s amount was about the same. Lawns do look greener, but I am not sure it is in time and enough for the crops.

Paula

No comments: