Saturday, May 18, 2024

No Squatting in the heat

Hello, Yesterday afternoon when the temperature was in the 80’s we worked in the garden. I weeded while other people did a number of other tasks, including planting. One person brought a portable shade. I was in the shade most of the time. My favorite posture when working on low things is to squat. I kept drinking water, but often felt dizzy and had to stand or sit for a while till it was gone. People were getting a bit concerned. This has happened much of my life if it is hot, but it is worse now. Learning to kneel or sit while doing such tasks will have to be in the future. Not my favorite thought! It is hot again today. So far, I have been inside more than outside so I do not notice it very much. Leroy and I have cleaned the last screens, washed windows and cleaned the sills. It is nice to have that job done. We are starting to think of some jobs that Leroy can do around here when he is retired. He just has three work weeks left. I walked up to get a prescription filled, as I left the store, I met a neighbor. He talked some about the store closing. He told me he plans to walk about 20 blocks to the next closest grocery store when this one closes next month. I wondered if he could take the bus, but he figured he could walk faster since it does not take a direct route there. I was struck by how many options I have, owning a car. We may offer him a lift to a store. How many people need something like that? Paula

No comments: