Monday, August 24, 2009

Leroy's Sermons

Hello,

Friday Leroy came home and announced, “Well, I have a sermon, but I am not sure how it will be received. Some might be offended.”

“Oh, dear, does that mean I should stay home?” I asked.

“I don’t think it is that bad,” he said.

It did not seem bad to me. His basic point was that Jesus is asking us “Do you love me?” rather than where do you stand on any issue.

After church a woman came up and said, “Hi Paula.” She looked familiar, but I could not place her. After a while I realized that she is the mother of a congregation member. She lives in Washington D.C. and I have only seen her once. At her request, Leroy emails his sermons to her.

“I am thankful he sends me his sermons,” she said, “I find them to be so inspired. They usually are just what I need. I often share them with other people.”

Leroy’s sermons are usually good, but this comment just blows me away. Are Leroy’s sermons going around the Internet? I guess I should listen more carefully.

Getting away seemed like a good idea so camping in a state park 30 miles from home transported us outside of our home. The weather was beautiful, the lake calm, breezes fresh, people friendly, air cool, and the quiet night star filled.

“We should do this every Sunday night all fall,” I said as we gazed at the fire. Will that happen? That is not so likely, but maybe one more time.

Paula

No comments: