Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I left my heart...

Hello,

While hanging out clothes today, “I left my heart” started playing on a tape in my head. The writer of that song has nothing on me. I could sing “I left my underpants in Bratislava, hanging on a tree.” Do you think my panties are still there? One windy day they blew off the balcony clothes line into a tree beyond easy reach. I could never convince Leroy to risk life and limb to save me from seeing them flapping in the breeze. The only blessing is that it was quite a distance above street level with the gray chameleon color blending quite well with the tree trunk. In the summer the leaves hid them perfectly.

The fuchsia was perfect at first, nearly died, was trimmed, watered twice daily, and moved to a new home deeper in the shade. Now it has revived and re-bloomed beyond all expectation.

Sunday I “accompanied” a kid (he is probably 19) who played the saxophone in church. It was a hymn that I transposed; actually I think I had help since it is quite a distant key, for alto sax. Brian played sax so I did it so he could play it. I thought it would sound good with this hymn. Avry met me carrying a large case. As he was taking it out I asked, “What type of sax is that?”

“Tenor,” he replied.

“Do you play the same music as Alto?” I wanted to know.

It is not the same so we came up with a solution since neither of us could transpose this much. I played my little interludes and he played the melody segments by himself. It was a fifth off from my part but we both felt it was ok.

One of the congregation members told me that I should have had his band director find a longer more complicated piece that would show his talent. I told her that I was interested in having the hymn played. I guess I do not see the worship service as a place to show case music or other talents, but that can happen however it is not the driving force. It should just come naturally as the gift of talent unfolds for the moment.

An update on Lora, Stephen’s sister: her cancer cannot be cured, but it can be treated.
Paula

No comments: