Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Bike Ride

Hello,

The seat was adjusted, feet on the pedals, hands in the proper place, cool air, sun getting low, and the breeze light. The uphill grade was slight and not very visible.

I have no idea if I was a help or a hindrance. There was no complaining from the front, but instructions at take off and at the one turn on the route. It helps to have a tall strong person sitting in front of you on the recumbent tandem. He easily steered around the random pothole and captured stray bugs and the cold wind as we returned.

Mostly I thought my legs were just spinning around, but when he stopped in a high gear at one crossing and asked for more power on the start up I tried to give it.

Before returning we stopped for refreshments at the end of the eleven-mile trail. The back and bottom of my tee shirt was wet. What could that be from? I checked in the bathroom and the top of the back of my shorts was wet too. Good grief could I urinate and not know I did that, but why was it wet so high up? When we returned to the bike there was a wet spot under my seat. Could there be a leaking water bottle behind me?

“What is that water from?” I wondered.

“You,” he replied, and before I could melt to a puddle of embarrassment on the ground, he added, “You are sweating.”

I guess sweat does not blow off the person in the back because you have the seat against your back. Or maybe I worked harder than I realized and sweat quite a lot.

On the way back we coasted and tried to stay back with the other two as I saw lightening bugs in the ditches. The moon was beautiful too. A deer went across in front of us, but I could not see around the back in front of me and so missed it. Not everyone would say that going for a 22-mile bike ride would be relaxing, but I do.

Paula

No comments: