Saturday, August 8, 2009

Garage Sale Finds

Hello,

“Look at what I got,” Leroy said.

“At the sidewalk sale at the hardware store?” I asked.

“No at a garage sale about three blocks from here,” he said.

It is a nice weed eater complete with extra wire and reels. For some time Leroy has been complaining about the one he had purchased at a garage sale about 15 years ago. Besides this was only $2. He has already used it almost that much.

I walked over to the sale, spotted some flowerpots and baskets for plants before I also got a plastic mitt to use for hot things, some hooks, and paper doilies for the great sum of 50 cents. Then they told me they were going to throw away an amaryllis and a geranium that did not look good.

“That is not good for the plants. I will take them.” I said, “I live close and can’t carry it all at once. I will go home and come back.”

Leroy went back to help carry and found a 75 cent box for tools. The biggest purchase is a rocking chair for $25. Leroy carried that home, but he had to rest three times. I was glad to put the plant down too as it was heavy. I think the rocker looks good. We don’t really need it, but we will put one rocker up stairs so that if one of us wants to watch some awful show on TV the other can still have a nice reading chair out of the room. Impulse sales reign at garage sales.

Our neighbor told us that the reason they had the grapes to share was that a truck driver’s load was rejected and he put them in the dumpster. Our neighbor rescued what he could. There is something wrong with how things operate in this country. We know people at the food pantry could use some food.

In our culture the definition of rich is too narrow, as it seems to reference only money. That makes us poor when we really are rich if we could see it.

Paula

No comments: