Saturday, September 5, 2026
In the Garden
Hello,
This year, we have neglected the community garden much of the time. We have been gone or is too hot or it is raining. We have great excuses, however when I see the weeds in the garden, I am ashamed. Somehow, I could make myself get more done in the past.
The other evening, even though it was still in the 80’s, I said, “I am going to the garden. There are beans that are ready to pick. If they are there too long they will stop producing.”
Leroy felt guilty so he went with me. We walked slowly and had had quite a bit of water before we left the house. Leroy was wearing gloves so he went right to picking cucumbers. Some of them were quite large. I noticed some tomatoes very low on the plants. I was picking those when two boys came by. They had been playing in a vacant area. I asked, “Would you like some green beans?”
They thought maybe they would like some. Then I picked some tomatoes for them. They also said they liked cucumbers. They did not like okra, but their dad did. They got all of the okra, several tomatoes, and many cucumbers.
I was pleased to share all of these things. They wondered if it was our garden. I told them it was for everyone. Then one of them wondered if we took care of it. I was ashamed to say we did since there were so many weeds. They were pleased and thanked us for the produce as well as letting them know about the garden.
One the way home we saw someone sitting on their porch and shared all of the green beans with them as well as two cucumbers. It lightened our load considerably.
My heart was full.
Paula
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment