Sunday, October 6, 2024

Pesticides or Worms

Hello, It seems the next hard question in my life is: pesticides or worms. We picked broccoli and kale from the community garden tonight. These are just small broccoli heads that will keep coming until the hard frost. Leroy washed them in two waters, one plain water and one with vinegar in it. He looked carefully for worms and extracted quite a number he tells me. Then I put them to soak in salt water. He again checked carefully when taking them out and found a few more worms. I don’t like pesticides, but I do not like worms either. This year the broccoli had been clear of worms. We had seen almost no cabbage butterflies until we came back from our last trip. They seem to have moved in and invited all the relatives to come join the crew. The clean kale was sautéed in a little oil with some garlic as well as some sauerkraut. Served over spaghetti noodles, it was quite tasty. I tried not to think of any lurking worms. At least I do not think they will hurt me. Paula

No comments: