Wednesday, February 9, 2022

How Many Pillows?

Hello, I received some money for an action team from my insurance company. I had told them I would use the money to collect personal items for the refugees in our community. Well yesterday I learned that several of them were being moved to apartments in the next two days and they really needed 24 pillows as well as many twin sized sheets as would be available from the rest of the money. This morning I headed off to get a haircut and learned the I would have to wait 25 minutes. Since a place I could get pillows was close, I went there to check out the prices and supply. I could get 22 in the one size and supplement that with two from a lower cost bin. I calculated that I could get ten sheet sets. How would I get those pillows out of the store? With my time now limited, I went back to get my haircut. It is cut and about as short as I have ever had it. There are some curls next to my ears that stick out at odd angles, especially when wearing a mask. To take those off and make it all look good required more cutting than I am used to, but hair will grow back, right? At the store they felt that they could get some help for me, but no one was available so I just got one shopping cart and filled it as much as I could. I was able to leave it with a guy who kept an eye on it. When I returned with the second cart, I decided that I could move them to the check out. The guy showed me how to push one and pull the other. Then he commented, “You are in training.” At the checkout, I failed to see the 20 items or less sign, but there were not many people in the store and none in line behind me. I counted up the pillows and she was able to ring them up in groups. These pillows barely fit in two carts. A shopper wondered what I was doing with all the pillows. He smiled when he learned I was getting them for the refugees. I explained that it was not my own money. But he still thought that was great. I miscalculated and did not spend the entire amount or more. I thought I would make up the difference. Since it was a struggle getting as far as I had I decided that I would come back another day. Then it was an issue of how to get them to and in the car. The friendly guy at the front of the store said, “I will watch them while you get your car.” I started out only to realize there was no place to park close to the store so back in I went. My plan now was to move the carts one at a time. That worked, but outside with the first cart the wind caught me and the pillows by surprise with two of them flying off the cart. Someone helped me corral them. After that I was more careful. Then there was the logics of stuffing them in the car, but I made that. With the second cart I wonder if I was missing a pillow, but do not really know. At least I delivered all that I had. Paula

No comments: