Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Comedy of Errors

Hello,

This morning Leroy got up at 5:15 to do exercises and because he just woke up at that time. I heard him get out of bed but thought he was going to the bathroom, but noticed he did not come back right away and I could hear him moving around doing what I knew not. Had I known, I might have gotten up to exercise as well.

Before he left for work Leroy checked the weather forecast several times trying to determine the feasibility of riding the bike to work. He has a more optimistic soul than I realized because he thought he could ride dry to museum work, go to a meeting mid morning at church, ride back to the museum, and then come home late afternoon. I did tell him that I could come get him since I do not work today.

I had washed a load of clothes expecting to hang them out with this bike riding guy as my guide of weather. When the clothes were washed I realized that the air seemed quite damp. I checked another weather source and decided the clothes would stay inside.

Probably an hour later it started to rain. I then had the brilliant idea that I could pick up Leroy with the bike rack in the car, load the bike on the car, take him to the church meeting, bring the bike home, store it in the garage, and go back to pick up Leroy, bringing him home with the other car key in my pocket, and let him drive back to the museum while I went on to shop.

The bike rack is stored above my head in the garage. This item is a bit heavy or at least heavy for me. When I got it off the nails it made a descent straight for my head. I was able to slow it down, but not stop it. Luckily one of the straps with a hook on it caught on a board. Grateful I am for that intervention.

At the museum Leroy remembered how to put the rack on, but it is not an easy thing to do especially when trying to hurry and wearing good work clothes. At one point it was necessary to kneel and hook two straps under the car to secure it. Finally the job was done.

I dropped Leroy at the church closest to the wrong door because I had forgotten that only one door is open during the week. He had to run back in the rain when I could have stopped much closer.

At home it was no problem to get the bike and rack off the car. I went in the house, kept a close eye on the time, got back in the car to pick up Leroy, met him at the proper door, and was amazed that he was there. “I tried to call you on the house phone and your cell,” he said, “but you did not answer so I was hoping you were on the way and I watched out the door.”

He tried to direct me to go home, but I have forgotten about taking him there to get the other car. Instead we had some rather confusing conversations about where I should turn and why. Finally I remembered the plan which I had engineered and headed off to the house.

At the house, I let Leroy out in the rain because it is hard for him to get out inside close to the side of the garage, pulled into the garage only to remember that I wanted to get him some yogurt. It is a crisis if we run out of yogurt. I looked up to see that Leroy was exiting the garage, as expected he pulled in back of me to head out the alley. I waited and waited for him to complete the move. Perhaps he was wondering why I was still in the car. Just when I was thinking I would call him to tell him to move he finally drove off.

I then went off to do my little bit of shopping. Are you surprised that we are still together after 46 years of trying to understand each other?


Paula

No comments: